About Civil services main examination 2013 – Eligibility, dates, syllabus
The Government of India makes its recruitment for top posts in various Indian organizations like Indian Administration, Indian Railways, Transport authority etc through Civil Service examinations. If you are a graduate, then you can very well apply for Civil Services examination to uplift your career. This examination is conducted by “Union Public Service Commission”.
Eligibility criteria for Civil Services Preliminary Examination:
1. You should be an Indian citizen.
2. Your age should be between 21 to 30 as on August 1st, 2014.Government of India provides 5 years age relaxation for OBC category candidates. And, 3 years age relaxation is given for candidates who belong to SC/ST categories. The same is applicable for Ex servicemen class also.
3. Both males and females are eligible to apply for this examination.
4. You must be a graduate or equivalent qualification from a recognized Indian institution/ University.
5. Final year graduates are also eligible to apply. But you are requested to produce your certificates after qualifying the written examination. Certificate verification process will take place before the conduct of interview and medical standards test.
Eligibility criteria for Civil Services Main Examination 2013:
You must pass the preliminary level in Civil Service examination.
This is the only eligibility criteria to be satisfied for
Civil Service Main Examination.
Civil Services Main Examination 2013 Important dates:
This examination is held once in a year. The notification is made by UPSC in Employment news or daily newspaper. The notification will be out during the month of July. You can apply for this exam only through online. The link will be available in the official site of UPSC. The application fees for male candidates are Rs.200. There is no examination fee for female candidates. This is also applicable for candidates belonging to SC/ST category.
Union Public Service examination has released the examination calendar for the academic year 2014.
- Date of examination: 14.12.2014.
Scheme of Civil Services Main examination:
The written test(Mains) is conducted for five days. There are 8 papers to be solved for mains examination namely
- PAPER I
- PAPER II
- PAPER III
- PAPER IV
- PAPER V
- PAPER VI
- PAPER VII
- PAPER VIII
- PAPER IX
>> Paper I is of your choice. There are 18 Indian Languages. You can select any one among them for Paper I. The total mark for this paper I is 300.
>> Paper II is English that too constitutes 300 marks to the total mark.
>> Paper III is Essay writing. The total mark for this paper is only 200.
>> Paper IV and V is for 600 marks. It includes questions from General Studies. Paper IV constitutes 300 marks and paper V constitutes 300 marks.
>> Paper VI, VII, VIII and IX carry a total of 1200 marks. Each paper carries 300 marks. You must select two optional subjects. You will have two papers under each subjects.
The grand total for main examination is 2000. For interview, you have 300 marks. So, totally you will have 2300 marks as maximum marks.
List of optional subjects:
The following are the list of optional subjects. There are totally 25 optional subjects.
- Agricultural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical sciences
- Chemical Engineering
- Animal Husbandary and Veterinary Science
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Political science and international relations
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Public administration
- Indian History
List of optional subjects (literature):
There are 26 optional subjects in literature.
So, there are 51 (25+26) optional subjects available.
The following combinations in list of optional subjects is not allowed:
- Agricultural Engineering and Agriculture
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Not more than one optional subject is chosen as Engineering subjects (Agricultural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering).
After the written examination, shortlisted candidates who qualify the written examination will be called for
Interview. The other name of interview is personality test. The total mark for personality test is 300. You must be a good communicator to crack Personality test. You will be interviewed in a language of answer the main examination.
For more details regarding this examination, you can kindly log on to the official link of UPSC – www.upsc.gov.in.